Merchants wishing to support tip amounts, there are several options available:
Prompt for Tip in App
- The developer should prompt for tip in the UI of their application.
- startTransaction is called with the tip field present in the transInfo HashMap and the prompTip parameter set to false.
- The amount field should include the tip amount in the total.
- Works with all card types, regardless of supported CVMs.
- Works regardless of the terminal config.
Prompt for Tip on Terminal
- startTransaction is called with prompTip parameter set to true.
- Terminal will prompt customer to enter tip amount.
- Tip amount is added onto the original amount and passed in the transInfo HashMap in the amount field for authorization.
- Works with all card types, regardless of CMV support.
- Will not work with the Tip Adjust terminal config. Use the ALLCVM base config and make sure enable_tip_adjust parameter is set to false.
Adjust Tip Post Authorization
- startTransaction is called with amount field NOT including tip amount.
- After authorization, the tip amount is typically entered on paper receipt in conjunction with signature.
- startTransaction is called again with the amount field set to new total (which now includes the tip amount), the tip field set to the tip amount and the refNum field set to the transaction refnum received during the original authorization.
- PIN CVM must be disabled and will NOT work with cards that require PIN CVM.
- Will not work with the ALLCVM terminal config. Use the Tip Adjust base config and make sure enable_tip_adjust parameter is set to true.